Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish.
I just visited New York City recently so I figured this week I would go over some books set in the Big Apple. Starting for oldest to newest here are 10 books set in NYC.
1. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald in a classic set in New York City in the 1920s.
2. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger is another classic that’s set in the Big Apple, but only after Holden gets expelled from his prep school.
3. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians #1) by Rick Riordan. Even though Percy only spends a little time in the city, Mount Olympus does sit on top of the Empire State Building…
4. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare takes place in the City as it’s the city that houses Pandemonium, the club that started it all, and the Instistute that the Lightwoods run.
5. Where She Went (If I Stay #2) by Gayle Forman takes place in NYC three years after the events that happen in If I Stay when Adam goes see Mia play at Carnegie Hall. You can read my thoughts on it here.
6. Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares (Dash & Lily #1) by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan takes place all around the City and even starts off in one of my favorite NYC bookstores – The Strand.
7. The Unfinished Life of Addison Stone by Adele Griffin is a beautiful story (both in terms of writing and how the story is represented through media) that goes over the life of Addison Stone, a (fictional) artist who was living in NYC, at the time of her death. I really loved reading The Unfinished Life of Addison Stone as you can see in my review of it.
8. Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss #3) by Stephanie Perkins proves that Paris isn’t the only city of love when Isla bumbs into Josh in Manhattan during summer break. You can read my thoughts on Isla and the Happily Ever After here, along with the rest of the books in the series.
9. Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld tells the story of Darcy, a debut author, and her life in NYC, the center of publishing, as she works to make her dreams come true.
10. Shadowshaper (Shadowshaper #1) by Daniel José Older takes place in Brooklyn and puts a mythical twist on all the street art that live on the walls of buildings.