Review – Just Some Stupid Love Story

Posted June 3, 2024 by Emily in review / 0 Comments

Review of the book, Just Some Stupid Love Story written by Katelyn Doyle

I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Review – Just Some Stupid Love Story
TITLE: Just Some Stupid Love Story
AUTHOR: Katelyn Doyle
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Source: NetGalley
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble
RATING: 3.5 Stars

For fans of Emily Henry, a debut about a rom-com screenwriter who doesn't believe in love and a divorce attorney who does, forced together at their high school reunion fifteen years after their breakup

Molly Marks writes Hollywood rom-coms for a living—which is how she knows “romance” is a racket. The one and only time she was naive enough to fall in love was with her high school boyfriend, Seth—who she ghosted on the eve of graduation and hasn’t seen in fifteen years.

Seth Rubinstein believes in love, the grand, fated kind, despite his job as, of Chicago’s most successful divorce attorneys. Over the last decade, he’s sought “the one” in countless bad dates and rushed relationships. He knows his soulmate is out there. But so far, no one can compare to Molly Marks, the first girl who broke his heart.

When Molly’s friends drag her to Florida for their fifteenth high school reunion, it is poetic justice that she’s forced to sit with Seth. Too many martinis and a drunken hookup later, they decide to make a bet: whoever can predict the fate of five couples before the next reunion must declare that the other is right about true love. The catch? The fifth couple is the two of them.

Molly assures Seth they are a tale of timeless heartbreak. Seth promises she’ll end up hopelessly in love with him. She thinks he’s delusional. He has five years to prove her wrong.

Wickedly funny, sexy, and brimming with laughs and heart like the best romantic comedies, Just Some Stupid Love Story is for everyone who believes in soulmates—even if they would never admit it.

Setting the Scene

Mood Before Reading

Really craving a book similar to Happy Place by Emily Henry

Dates Read

February 15, 2024 – April 14, 2024


Just Some Stupid Love Story tells the story of Molly, a jaded rom com screenwriter, and Seth, a divorce attorney who loves romance. They were high school sweethearts who went their separate ways, but end up reconnecting an a high school reunion.

I have a soft spot for second chance romances and I love rom coms so I jumped at the chance to read Just Some Stupid Love Story early. But now that I’ve finished it, I have some mixed feelings.

It just felt like a long read, or at least longer than the page count indicates. And in some places, the pacing wasn’t the best – it sometimes felt like it was just dragging on and on. There was a point where I felt the book embodied its title of being just a stupid love story and honestly considered DNFing around the 25% mark. Full disclaimer, I did hit a bit of a reading slump while reading this, but regardless, it normally doesn’t take me two whole months to finish reading a rom com…

But to be fair, I don’t really think Just Some Stupid Love Story is a true rom com. Were there parts that made me smile and laugh? Yes! But I personally don’t think it was as light hearted or fun as most romantic comedies are. And once I got through that first quarter, I actually really enjoyed the rest of the novel. For perspective, it took me from February 15 to April 13 to read through 28% of the novel. I read the rest of the 72% in one day.

Just Some Stupid Love Story really revolves around Molly and her self discovery, more than the actual romance. And I absolutely enjoyed peeling back the layers of her history and her journey to leave it behind her. Seth serves as a great juxtaposition – he’s so fun and nerdy that it balances out some of Molly’s more dreary moments.

In conclusion…

Just Some Stupid Love Story is not just some stupid love story, but in fact a cute love second chance romance full of self discovery bogged down by poor pacing.


Final Rating
4 Stars
3 Stars
3.5 Stars
3.5 Stars
3.5 Stars
Overall: 3.5


Leave a Reply

Want to include a link to one of your blog posts below your comment? Enter your URL in the website field, then click the button below to get started. :)